Breaking Barriers, Building a Hire Ground – Episode 144: Government Contracting 101 with Shakeia Kegler
Manage episode 372197450 series 2829518
Shakeia Kegler is the Founder & CEO of GovLia, a company that helps state and local government agencies effortlessly implement and manage supplier diversity programs. Their goal is to expedite supplier diversity efforts without the traditional, time-consuming, paper-based processes. Before founding GovLia, Shakeia served for five years in the Navy as Aviation Ordnanceman Petty Officer 2nd Class. Following her career in the military, Shakeia also worked as a specialist in the government contracting department. The opportunity led to starting GovLia in 2017.
Shakeia joins us to discuss how GovLia helps supplier diversity efforts through government contracting support. She recounts her experience in the Navy as well as what it was like to transition back to civilian life. She describes the difficulty of small businesses getting awarded government contracts, especially if these businesses are minority-owned. Shakeia also explains what small businesses can do to make themselves look better than the competition when applying for government contracts.
This week on Breaking Barriers:
- Shakeia’s experience in the Navy’s purchasing department
- Her struggles adjusting back to civilian life
- What the government usually buys that may sound difficult to believe
- Why GovLia was founded and how they support supplier diversity
- Why businesses miss out on selling their products and services to the government
- How GovLia helps businesses connect with government transactions
- How the government filters business partners
- Why past performance matters when trying to sell to the government
- How Shakeia’s Navy experience affected the way she ran her business
- The one hobby Shakeia likes pursuing and how it helps her connect with people
Connect With Shakeia Kegler:
- GovLia on Instagram
- Shakeia Kegler’s Website
- Shakeia Kegler on Instagram
- Shakeia Kegler on LinkedIn
This podcast is brought to you by Hire Ground
Hire Ground is a technology company whose mission is to bridge the wealth gap through access to procurement opportunities. Hire Ground is making the enterprise ecosystem more viable, profitable, and competitive by clearing the path for minority-led, women-led, LGBT-led, and veteran-led small businesses to contribute to the global economy as suppliers to enterprise organizations.
For more information on getting started please visit us @ hireground.io today!
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.