Ep. 107 - Precedential Decisions from 5/9/2022 - 5/15/2022 (particularly serious crimes: mental health & exhaustion; asylum: gangs & Mayan race; CIMT: money laundering & intent; VAWA motion to reopen; right to counsel in reasonable fear proceedings)
Manage episode 328579066 series 2857723
Matter of B-Z-R-, 28 I&N Dec. 563 (A.G. 2022)
- mental health; Matter of G-G-S-; particularly serious crime
Kithongo v. Garland, No. 21-2662 (7th Cir. May 9, 2022)
- particularly serious crime; conspiracy to commit robbery; violent crimes; Matter of N-A-M-; jurisdiction; exhaustion; case processing rule; actually argued
Tojin-Tiu v. Garland, No. 21-2269 (8th Cir. May 12, 2022)
- family-based particular social group; fear of gangs; persecution Guatemala
Jang v. Garland, No. 19-4289 (2d Cir. May 9, 2022)
- CIMT; attempted second-degree money laundering; N.Y. Penal L. § 470.15(1)(b)(ii)(A); Matter of Tejwani; intent to defraud; knowing mens rea
Pena-Lopez v. Garland, No. 20-60911 (5th Cir. May 12, 2022)
- mixed question of law and fact; jurisdiction; VAWA motion to reopen; VAWA cancellation of removal; extraordinary circumstances or extreme hardship to the noncitizen’s child; Guerrero-Lasprilla; INA § 242(a)(2)(D)
Priva v. U.S. Att'y Gen., No. 20-12521 (11th Cir. May 12, 2022)
- reasonable fear proceedings; right to counsel; due process; substantial prejudice; Nasrallah factual findings; Haiti
Lopez Morales v. U.S. Att'y Gen., No. 20-14054 (11th Cir. May 11, 2022)
- exhaustion; asylum; reasoned consideration; Mayan race; Mam; Guatemala
*Sponsors and friends of the podcast!
Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
Immigration, serious injury, and business lawyers serving clients in Florida, California, and all over the world for over 40 years.
"Modern immigration software & case management"
Want to become a patron?
Immigration Review® is a podcast made available for educational purposes only. It does not provide legal advice. Rather, it offers general information and insights from publicly available immigration cases. By accessing and listening to the podcast, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the host. The podcast should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your state.
"Loopster," "Bass Vibes," "Chill Wave," and "Funk Game Loop" Kevin MacLeod - Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 4.0