Manage episode 299121016 series 2666624
This week host Paul Dergarabedian is joined by Ethan Sacks, one of the most prolific new voices at Marvel Comics and noted journalist who covered movies, television, comic books and geek culture over a 20-year career as a journalist at the New York Daily News. He has since kept one foot in the world of journalism with a part-time role at NBC News Digital.
This episode covers:
- The challenges and benefits of the career of a freelance writer
- The advantages of “creator owned” books and written works
- Melding a journalistic background and a passion for comic books
- The creation of a horror-themed flip book in the age of digital
- Coordinating charities that featured Marvel actors including Chris Pratt, Chris Evans, and Robert Downey Jr.
ABOUT THIS EPISODE'S GUEST:
Ethan Sacks, is one of the most prolific new voices at Marvel Comics, writing "Old Man Hawkeye," "Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge," "Star Wars: Allegiance" "Silver Surfer," "Old Man Quill," and "Star Wars: Bounty Hunters." Before he rewrote his career, Sacks covered movies television, comic books and geek culture over a 20-year career as a journalist at the New York Daily News. There he profiled a who's who of Hollywood personalities from Affleck to Ziyi Zhang, traveled to New Zealand to be filmed with performance capture technology, and launched a movie screening program for children's charities that featured visits by Marvel actors including Chris Pratt, Chris Evans, and Robert Downey Jr. He was part of the news team that won awards from the prestigious Society of Silurians and the New York Press Club for the paper's coverage of the Miracle on the Hudson.
Don't forget to rate, review, and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.