Manage episode 348343073 series 1521165
NRPA’s Resilient Park Access grant program supports the advancement of community-driven, systems-level strategies for equitable park access that improve the environmental resilience and health of communities. The grant funding also provides ongoing peer learning and coaching, professional development and access to networks of like-minded park and recreation professionals throughout the country.
On today’s episode of Open Space Radio, I’m joined by staff from City of Detroit Parks and Recreation, which was one of seven agencies that received this grant. To increase access to nature and make it more equitably available to all, the City of Detroit will identify and build pocket parks in high-need areas and engage the community on programming and stewardship of the project through workforce development.
I’m thrilled to welcome Jac Kyle, a manager I for nature programming at City of Detroit Parks and Recreation, and Rachel Felder, a naturalist for City of Detroit Parks and Recreation, to learn more about the impactful work they are doing in their community.
Tune in to learn more about how their work will help increase equitable access to nature in Detroit. You’ll also learn:
- What inequities exist in Detroit as far as access to nature
- What types of programming will make Detroit neighborhoods more equitable
- How City of Detroit is collaborating with community-based organizations and community leaders
- How City of Detroit Parks and Recreation is navigating challenges with existing policies and practices
- What other agencies should consider when working to advance equity in their own communities
- Why this work is so gratifying for Jac and Rachel, and so much more!
- Detroit Parks and Recreation on Twitter
- Detroit Parks and Recreation on Instagram
- Detroit Parks and Recreation on Facebook
- Detroit Outdoors on Twitter
- Detroit Outdoors on Instagram
- Detroit Outdoors on Facebook
This episode of Open Space Radio is sponsored by DaySmart Recreation. Grow with your community and simplify operations with the facility management solution that's helping streamline scheduling, registration, payment processing, and community engagement. With DaySmart Recreation's mobile-friendly solution, your staff and members can find important information from wherever they are. Learn more about DaySmart Recreation at daysmartrecreation.com/nrpa.