Manage episode 331305077 series 3315007
In our first World Cup-themed episode, we look at arguably the most controversial World Cup of them all: Argentina 78. It is a World Cup that is tied up in politics more than any other, but as well as discussing the social and political backdrop to the tournament, we did explore some of the football on the pitch too. We were delighted to be joined by Rhys Richards to discuss all things Argentina 78 ahead of the release of his book, Blood on the Crossbar: The Dictatorship’s World Cup.
You can find Rhys on Twitter at @RhysWRichards.
You can find Matt on Twitter at @MattLostBoyo and Marc on Twitter at @MarcLostBoyo.
And follow the podcast at @PlayedForKuwait.
If you enjoyed the podcast, make sure to subscribe wherever you get your pods from and tell a friend about us.
- Cruyff’s no show at World Cup 78
- Argentina 6-0 Peru
- Mario Kempes winning the Golden Boot
- The debut of the Adidas Tango
- Clive Thomas’ final whistle for Brazil v Sweden
- France’s green and white shirt
- The assassination of General Actis
- Willie Johnston’s failed drugs test
- César Luis Menotti
Music: Chimez by Dan Henig