The Public Health SPOTlight Podcast: stories, inspiration, and guidance to build your dream public health career
A conversation on the MD/MPH career journey, the case for more public-private partnerships in public health, and entrepreneurship, with Dr. Nitin Mohan
Manage episode 326131643 series 2914598
In this episode, Sujani sits down with Dr. Nitin Mohan who holds both an MD and MPH. They discuss how Nitin’s work experience in medicine led him to pursuing an MPH and talk about ETIO Public Health Consultants, a company co-founded by Nitin that works to bring evidence-based public health information and solutions to businesses.
- Nitin’s path from completing his MD to pursuing an MPH
- How training as an MD strengthened Nitin’s ability to be a public health professional and vice versa
- What ETIO is including:
- Company goals
- What kind of projects ETIO takes on
- What kind of backgrounds team members come from
- Nitin’s keys to success for entrepreneurship in the public health world
- What holding a faculty position and mentoring students has taught Nitin
- What lessons Nitin has learned about science communication working through the COVID pandemic
- Advice from Nitin for public health students and early career professionals
Dr. Nitin Mohan is an assistant professor who teaches courses in the Master of Management and Applied Sciences and Master of Public Health programs. He is also a partner and physician epidemiologist at a private public health consultancy firm and research think tank called ETIO which is based in Toronto, Ontario. He obtained his Medical Doctorate in 2015 and his Master of Public Health in 2017.
He specializes in infectious disease surveillance and preventive medicine. He has experience coordinating national surveillance activities ensuring optimal data practices across multiple sectors. Through his role at ETIO he works with private and public sectors and Non-Governmental Organizations on various projects ranging from knowledge translation, data management, research design and clinical guideline development, software development and program development.
His interests include preventive medicine, global health, public health, health equity, health economics and population health.
- Read ETIO’s anti-black racism in Ontario report and other reports
- Learn more about ETIO’s RMP2 tool and the P3 dashboard
Other PH SPOT resources:
- Share ideas for the podcast: Fill out this form
- Never heard of a podcast before? Read this guide we put together to help you get set up.
- Be notified when new episodes come out, and receive hand-picked public health opportunities every week by joining the PH SPOT community.
- Contribute to the public health career blog: www.phspot.ca/contribute
- Upcoming course on infographics: phspot.ca/infographics
- Learn more ab
Join The Public Health Career Club: the #1 hangout spot and community dedicated to building and growing your dream public health career.