Manage episode 362115955 series 2857622
With over 15 years of experience in real estate investing and a passion for educating others, Spencer outlines his five-part decision-making framework for vetting passive investments. He emphasizes the importance of communication and delivering news well in building trust with investors. He also discusses the challenges of balancing a high-powered career with family life and finding a different way to live through real estate investing.
As the market shifts in 2023, Spencer aims to educate and serve others with his experience and investment opportunities. He emphasizes the need for sponsors to be responsive and transparent in their answers to investors' questions. Lastly, he touches on the importance of learning from challenging experiences as an entrepreneur. Jump right in to learn valuable insights into passive real estate investing and how to evaluate investment opportunities!
[00:01 - 09:36] Spencer's History of Investing
- Spencer Hilligoss invested over seven figures personally of his own money into deals as a passive investor
- He stepped away from his career in Silicon Valley in October 2019 after building loan origination groups for a fix-and-flip lender that was also a tech company
- Communication is key for passive investors in real estate
[09:37 - 19:38] Five-Part Decision-Making Framework for Passive Investments
- Track record approach
- Team approach
- Quantitative approach
[19:39 - 24:45] Key Factors in Passive Real Estate Investing
- Transparency and clear communication are essential in real estate investing
- Red flags to look out for include slow or unclear investor communications
- Values should be considered when investing, including how tenants are treated
- Behavioral interviewing can help gauge a sponsor's experience and ability to handle challenges
[24:46 - 29:11] Closing Segment
- Best investment: buying their first home
- Worst investment: putting money into Crypto
- The most important lesson learned: the world is very connected
"Humility is key in life for thriving." - Spencer Hilligoss
"Just tell people what's happening. Treat people like adults, and speak to them as adults. Don't hide stuff." - Spencer Hilligoss
Connect with Spencer!
Invest passively in multiple commercial real estate assets such as apartments, self-storage, medical facilities, hotels, and more through https://www.passivewealthstrategy.com/crowdstreet/
Track your rental property's finances with Stessa. Go to www.escapingwallstreet.com.
Join our Passive Investor Club to access passive commercial real estate investment opportunities.
LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone who wants to explode their business growth by sharing this episode or clicking here to listen to our previous episodes.