Manage episode 320945619 series 2971531
This week’s guest found her way to illustration after resisting a creative career for a few years. Ree is a Seattle-based Venezuelan independent character designer and illustrator. She’s built a career off of her unique character style and perspective and continues to share it with the world through Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok.
Ree found herself in a severe creative block for the past few years, but is now finally on the other side after relocating to Seattle and adjusting her work/life balance. Now she prioritizes self-care instead of overworking herself in order to prevent creative burnout.
In this episode, we go over how Ree revitalized her creative practice, how she developed her artistic style, and her tips for prioritizing self-care.
- The pros and cons of living in Miami
- Exploring different career paths
- Launching her online shop
- Balancing content creation with artwork
- Prioritizing self-preservation over content creation
- Struggling with depression and anxiety as an artist
- Working through art block by prioritizing her own needs
- Knowing when it’s time to take a break instead of burning out
- Discovering her unique artistic style
- Ree’s creative routine
- Advice for finding your own style and illustration world
- Rusalochka - The Little Mermaid, USSR, 1976
- Evolving with your work online
- Being embarrassed by your own artistic evolution
- Her marker collaboration with ArtXX
- How TikTok is the new place to be
Listeners of the podcast can get a free, undated weekly and monthly planner inspired by the show from our website here.
Follow Host Fabiola Lara between episodes: