Breaking Barriers, Building a Hire Ground – Episode 145: Sustainability 101 for SMB’s with Elba Pareja-Gallagher
Manage episode 373043633 series 2829518
Elba Pareja-Gallagher is an Environmental, Social, and Governance expert, sustainability consultant, and keynote speaker. Elba is the founder and Principal of Sustainability Navigator, which offers coaching and mentoring to small, minority-owned businesses on following ESG regulations in the sustainability sector. She is also the founder and Executive Director of ShowMe50% Women Leading, an organization dedicated to closing the gender gap in companies. Prior to founding Sustainability Navigator, Elba served various roles at UPS for over 26 years: Director of Finance, U.S. Product Performance and Sustainability Director, and Stakeholder Engagement.
Elba joins us today to outline key ideas on sustainability for small- and medium-sized businesses. She describes how she learned about ikigai and how she came to the ESG industry after a career in finance. She explains why small- and medium-sized businesses need to be able to clearly demonstrate their commitment to sustainability practices. Elba also highlights the challenges these businesses face when implementing ESG and sustainability practices and shares the first steps for jumpstarting sustainability programs.
This week on Breaking Barriers:
- Elba’s background and how she began her journey in ESG
- How professionals find fulfilling careers in supplier diversity
- Engaging family and friends with sustainability and diversity
- Why getting a clear understanding of your company’s mission and goals is crucial to achieving sustainability
- How sustainability practices help companies save money and create revenue
- The relationship between small businesses and sustainability
- Why small businesses need to be able to demonstrate their commitment to sustainability
- The evolution of sourcing roles around sustainability
- Why every individual in an organization needs to know ESG and participate in its efforts
- Controversies regarding ESG and sustainability
- The difference between corporate ESG and ESG investing
- Why small- and medium-sized businesses need to have great relationships with the larger companies they work with
- Human rights and dangers along the supply chain
- The United Nations’ three guiding pillars for human rights
- Elba’s thoughts on Scope 3 emissions regulations
Connect with Elba Pareja-Gallagher:
- Sustainability Navigator
- Sustainability Navigator Newsletter
- Sustainability Navigator on Twitter
- Elba Pareja-Gallagher on LinkedIn
- Email: Discover@SustainabilityNavigator.com
This podcast is brought to you by Hire Ground
Hire Ground is a technology company whose mission is to bridge the wealth gap through access to procurement opportunities. Hire Ground is making the enterprise ecosystem more viable, profitable, and competitive by clearing the path for minority-led, women-led, LGBT-led, and veteran-led small businesses to contribute to the global economy as suppliers to enterprise organizations.
For more information on getting started please visit us @ hireground.io today!
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.