Manage episode 372240279 series 172966
In today’s episode, Dr. Donn Posner proposes a whole new way of thinking about sleep. First, he normalizes the sleep problems many of us experience. If you’re sleeping poorly right now, he says, don’t freak out; it’s natural and normal. Second, he has a bunch of tips for how to deal with insomnia, some of which you may have never heard before.
Dr. Donn Posner is one of the leaders in the field of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for insomnia. Dr. Posner is the Founder and President of Sleepwell Consultants, and Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences at Stanford University School of Medicine.
In this episode we talk about:
- The difference between chronic and acute insomnia
- How we can adapt to things that can mess up our sleep, like remote work
- Sub-chronic sleep conditions
- What to do if we're experiencing acute insomnia so that it doesn't become chronic insomnia
- The importance of structure when it comes to good sleep
- What social jet lag is
- Dr. Posner’s take on napping
- Why wake time is so important when it comes to good sleep
- Why we shouldn’t try to compensate for a bad night's sleep